Week 9 Wrapping up

Introduction

This week has been a rollercoaster of events!  We spent a lot of time this week going over our paper, poster and storyboard movie.

Poster

Here is the current iteration of our poster presentation. We are almost done finalizing our poster, just need to finish our prototyping sessions and integrate that information into our presentation.

https://iu.box.com/s/7yxtwzaotffpu0d0vc9x1q2ky9d5kiu2

Video

Our video is coming together nicely! I’ve been making steady progress on that front and at this point, I believe once we complete our prototyping session it will be ready to go?   Here is what it looks likes currently  Video

Paper

Our paper is coming together rather nicely! I recently made some edits into the survey part of the paper and overall grammar changes. I believe after we finish prototyping we can start finalizing a lot of the paper by Tuesday.

Paper

Grad School

Today after the prohealth meeting, I had a chance to sit down with Dr. Selma Sabanovic in her office. We talked a lot about my interests in HRI, literature to read, and overall expectations of graduate students. We also talked about applying to the IU informatics program, and potential opportunities to work during the summer. (A student in the R-House is from the same school as me working with Selma during this summer) Overal it was a very informative meeting, Selma was incredibly nice and welcoming to give more advice and direction going forward.

REU experiences 

5 Things i wish i knew going into ProHealth REU

1. Walking. I walked an insane amount the past 10 weeks.
  2. The scale of an R-1 University  IU is a gigantic campus compared to where I came from
  3.  going from California weather to very humid weather in Bloomington
  4.  all the various technical and professional development id be gaining
  5.  How short 10 weeks actually is to complete everything

5 things future ProHealth REU students should consider doing to be successful.

1. Time management. This is a very important aspect of being successful during the REU
  2. Prepare yourself for a lot of reading and writing
  3.  Network with potential advisors for grad school
  4. Find time to explore and socialize
  5.  Timelines and schedules are not final. Prepare for things to not go as planned or not as quickly