Week 7

Welcome everyone to Week 7!

On Monday, after finally being able to segment the ICs into separate files into a folder, I hope to then have an accessible folder of the ICs that the programs wants to begin matching. However, the segmentation is not fully accurate, for the picture we used works best with the parameters set. The segmentation is not fully accurate, as most thing in Computer Visions seem to share. Nonetheless, we cannot have that discontinue our project for it can still be applicable in controlled ways. At this point, after playing around with the various online computer visions applications, we wanted to address to Professor Crandall the setbacks due to accuracy but what we can do regardless.

Tuesday, our lab meeting went well. We talked to Professor Crandall about the work we had done and asked what else we can do. He suggested into looking in on to convert our code into Object C or SWIFT, in order to create this program into an iOS application. It came by a surprise to me because I have never done any iOS programming so my experience is at zero. What scared me more is that even Professor Crandall stated that converting our code, which is Python, is difficult compared to others and might not even be all that possible for people at our skill level. Nonetheless, Emmanuel and I will see what we can do to make it happen.

Happy Fourth of July! I hope you enjoyed the fireworks and spending time with your families if you were able to!

The rest of the week was pretty slow because we were still trying to figure out what our next step should be. Since neither of us know app development, we kind of got stuck on the next step to get there. We hope that next week, we can meet with our Professor and talk more about what he wants from this project since the beginning goal is out of our reach without infrared scanning that is required in order to see the internal parts of the IC. Since we are limited to viewing only the external component, we have to find a use for it. Multiple times, Professor Crandall has suggested us to use this same code and use it for another problem but we are not yet sure whether we will do that or continue with the IC project.

Three more weeks and I am still not sure where this program will go, however, I am hoping to have something good to present for our posters in the final week.

I hope you’re enjoying your summer,

G