Week 7 : Final Stretch

This week has been a wild ride!

Peer Review

On Monday we went over the peer review responses we received regarding our week 6 deliverables for our paper. We got a lot of meaningful feedback from our reviewers, some of them related to making sure we make stronger connections between our co-design sessions and available literature, and finding related literature that documents our procedures on giving the Older Adults 2 weeks to familiarize themselves with the gaming device.

Peer review response table

Tuesday

HomeShare meeting

On Tuesday we had our weekly timeshare meetings with our graduate and faculty mentors to go over the gameplan and new information regarding our project. We re-capped our co-design session and went over my preliminary survey data and showed some graphs and poorly designed tables about some of the themes the older adults were mentioning in our co-design. We also discussed our field notes, plans for transcribing our video and audio data.  We also briefly mentioned ideas for my presentation on Friday at the ProHealth meeting. Later that day Haley, Rashmi, Hanifa and myself went out for lunch at BloomingFoods market and deli which was pretty fun and delicious! It was probably the best food I’ve had in my 6 or 7 weeks at IU.

Wednesday

Fourth of July! This was my first time in quite awhile that I celebrated this holiday, normally back in California by the time 4th of July comes around, you’ve already become tired of all the pre-fireworks in the weeks leading up to the holiday. To celebrate this holiday, my roommate Ben and a few other students from GTAP  held a small barbecue near CampusView apartments in the afternoon. It was quite fun to socialize and take a brief pause on all the work that we were doing. There was a lot of good food, drinks and board games that we played that day. I got a lot of encouragement to apply to IU and consider applying to the CS program, which was nice to hear that they thought highly of me.

Thursday

On Thursday we spent a lot of time helping me design my presentation for Friday, iterations on the sharelatex paper and potential visualizations from the pre and post survey data that we collected. I finished up my portion of the video transcription from the Co-Design session that I and Hanifa divided up. We also got to meet Haley’s dad! He was very cool and nice person to talk to, he brought us some lunch at Etho’s and we shared some pizza while we worked. We also went over our poster draft an early draft of our storyboard which can be found below.

https://github.com/PHREU2017/BayesNets_Kate_Rob/blob/master/POSTER.pdf

early poster draft

storyboard draft

Later that day we had a very informative workshop with David Crandall. He talked alot about imposter syndrome, which i feel is something everyone needs to hear and  talk about. My takeaway was that no matter how  successful you are, that feeling of having to prove your worth at every turn doesnt go away.

Friday

Today  i presented on behalf of homeshare our current findings and timeline for the rest of the summer. I was apprenhensive about presenting but i powered through and got it over with!. I made some minor errors in my presentation but i think i’m improving at presenting infront of people in general. I recieved alot of meaningful feedback and handeled the questions pretty adequately.

prohealth presentation

Lightning talk

Today we had to present our lightning talk infront of other REU’s and mentors in Cassie’s prohealth tea. Admittely i think i did alright, but i dont believe i put in as much time into this presentation compared to the prohealth meeting earlier today. In the future, i will continue iterating on my lightning talk.

Lightning Talk