Week 6 Reflection

The ConnectEd Initiative created a graphic to show that collaborative leadership requires cycling through envisioning, planning, implementing, assessing, and refining.

Image from the ConnectEd Initiative

I thought this process defined by the ConnectEd Initiative describes the research process in this program (and in general) pretty well. Right now we are trying to get through the implement phase and on to the assessment phase by the end of the program.

When Aehong viewed my website, she realized that the button to download my resume wasn’t working, so I updated that portion of my website.  My resume is now saved as a Google Doc that is embedded in my site and can be downloaded from it. The changes can be seen here.

Meetings with Aehong and Patrick have gone well. We’ve been talking about how to prepare our submission for CHI by the January deadline and how to differentiate it from the paper Aehong and Patrick are focused on getting together for a September submission. We’re hoping that after the 10-week program ends, Gustavo and I can keep working on the project remotely part-time to create a digital prototype of our application and modify our paper submission to focus on that. We’re meeting earlier in the week with Patrick next week since he will be gone for the 4th.

Our updated reviewer response table can be found here. The feedback we’ve been getting has been really helpful! Some of the comments have pushed me to make changes that I otherwise would have probably put off longer and others have given me ideas that I never would have thought of otherwise! I think the biggest challenge we have ahead of us is going to be cutting the paper down, but refining our related works section to reflect just those works that are most directly relevant to our findings (either supporting or contradicting them).

This week has been hectic but in a very good way. We have 14 of our 15 interviews recorded, 10 of them transcribed, a set of codes to use for analysis, and an existing app that could be a lead on a potential partnership for us or a model for our prototype. Finding the app was exciting because it showed us that platforms already exist for sending HIPAA-secure messages digitally between family caregivers and professional care workers and are in use in Indiana, so we can focus our work on expanding the use cases and functionality of those existing technologies.