Week 6

Peer Review

This week of peer review was sort of a relief. We had very meaningful inputs into our paper, but it was good to see we were making good progress towards our deliverables. A lot of people liked our related works, but due to my experience writing papers, I always feel there’s something I can iterate on or expand on so it was good to see more positive outlooks towards our work.  Review Table

Co-Design Session

We finally did it!  I’m generally nervous about everything these days, but this experience was a little different. In terms of my comfort zone, I left that back in week 0 at Bradford Woods. I’ve been learning a lot about qualitative methods, as all my research experience was within the house of psychology and was entirely using quantitative methods. In terms of the Co-Design itself it took roughly an hour and 5 minutes which was amazing! I was initially nervous about participants being late or not showing up at all, but to their credit, the Older Adults actually showed up early. The entire Process ran smoothly in my opinion. The Post survey materials and managing participation ID’s was all very streamlined and easy for Cassie, Brie and Carla to understand to assist us with.  The timeline for this co-design session was to: assign them into four sections: icebreakers (10 minutes), post-it note activity (25 minutes), template activity(20 minutes), discussion (15 minutes). The general consensus from us after running the activity was that we underestimated the importance of the sticky-note activity.  One funny problem we ran into was that our television decided to stop working at the very beginning of the session. We tried multiple laptops and different HDMI cables which finally lead us to the diagnosis that there was something wrong with the television. However, we powered on! and adapted to our unforeseen technology issues. We found a lot of insights into meaningful data visualizations, necessary features and things that Older Adults did not like. The entire Sticky-note activity took almost 40 minutes to complete.  We will follow up with more information after analyzing the notes recorded, transcribing audio and analyzing all of our survey information. Specifically for myself, I will be analyzing the Survey data possibly using either  (R Studio, Alteryx, SPSS) after talking with Haley I believe I will just be downloading the data from qualtrics and analyzing it through R.

Mentor Meetings

On Tuesday we ran through our co-design presentation at our HomeSHARE meeting,  to get insights into our materials for Friday.  Katie gave us some good suggestions for our coloured sticky notes activity, referencing the visual cuts paper. Katie also gave me very nice advice on simplifying my survey instrument by using a Matrix table to ask participants how often they checked their device and activity tracker. On Thursday we ran errands with Haley to get all our materials for the Co-Design session. We ran our second-run through of our session with  Tom, Rashmi and Haley to iron out any potential issues or insights to improve on.

Reflection

This week felt like a whirlwind of emotions. I was nervous about a million different things, but the co-design was quite nervous about doing. However, once things got rolling everything went accordingly despite the lack of a television to power our presentation. This week Hanifa and I decided on who’s doing what, with Hanifa mostly focusing on fine-tuning her presentation deck and java graph tutorials. I focused primarily on reading the bulk of the papers, decided what was relevant and making note of particularly useful things related to our Related Works. I was also working on Object-Oriented java lessons, GRE prep and other REU deliverables. I didn’t sleep well Thursday, but I think that’s about expected. I generally don’t sleep well.

Timeline

Week 7

Prototype Data visualizations

– Read  2-4papers

– Final Paper deliverables + Java

Week 8

– Build Data Viz for My Data

– Read  3-4 papers

– Final Paper deliverables

Week 9

– Iterating on Data Viz ~ Hoping to be done

– Final Paper deliverables

Week 10

– Iterate on Final Paper; Present at the symposium