Week 5

Song of the week – “My Sharona” by The Knack but a very close runner up was Tomoko Aran’s “I’m In Love” maybe that will be my next week song because its such a good song.

Day 1- So, we’re half way done. This scares me, I feel like I’ve barely started and now we’re halfway from being done…WE’RE NOWHERE NEAR DONE!!! Anyways we met with Cassie and Mona at 11 about the codebook on Dedoose, did you know that the mascot for Dedoose is a moose? The more you know, but Mona was with her sick kid and I could barely here her over the whines, this makes me not want kids. After that mess I looked over our peer review and the feedback was very good, they caught mistakes I wouldn’t even think to look at, but it was a bunch of little things so I had to go through with a fine tooth comb and look at EVERYTHING and of course this task took forever and I’m still not done. I did this until I went on a linner(lunch/dinner) date with a friend who I have not seen in forever. I then went home to look over the groups to see if they posted on the activities and did my coding for the activity 3 on Dedoose. I read myself to sleep and planned to wake up and do it all again.

Day 2- Meeting after meeting after meeting after meeting. We met with Maria at too early o’clock (8 a.m.) and talked about the activities on the miscarriage project. We ended up moving activities around to make it better for the timeline. After that meeting we met to talk about our presentations on Friday (well Carla goes this Friday and I go next Friday) we made more timelines and that lead us up to the reading group meeting and talked about the two sucky readings we had, well they actually didn’t suck they were pretty well written but the subjects had nothing to do with any of our projects so they were just..papers. The papers were named “Implementing an Intercultural Birth Care Policy” by Lucia Reyes and “Designing for Meaningfulness: A Case Study Of A Pregnancy Wearable For Men” by Vanessa Julia Carpenter and Dan Overholt. We did that meeting until it was time for the HomeShare meeting and they spoke about a bunch of stuff I had no idea about but we did talk about the demographics for the PHI study, this meeting was really short for some reason but oh well. Went back to the office and looked at Facebook to see any updates. I did not code yesterday so today is solely reading for the paper. I’m hoping to have 10 more papers to summarize but maybe not, reading papers have been put on the back burner but I will put it on the front burner this week.

Day 3- Today I woke up late. I woke up at 9:20 but left by late 9:30. It was a breezy day of making my daily to do list and I have a bunch of things to dooooo. Carla was not feeling well so she zoomed into the meeting and we talked about our methods and abstract draft, I think it’s looking pretty good honestly. After that we had the Wednesday workshop with Tom. It was a panel of faculty talking about SICE graduate programs. I am a sophomore and so that is a ways away but information never hurts..unless it does. Anywho after that there was a graduate panel and sorry Tom but that lasted waaaaay too long, I was dying of hunger and that was my fault I should have ate but I was hangry half of the time and fidgety from sitting for so long without a break. After that I basically ran home and relaxed and made some magical Mac and cheese with shrimp and sausages, it was greatness.

Day 4 – So close to Friday, but not close enough. I’m writing this on Friday so I am kind of blurry on what I did when I got here. I think I looked at my list of what I needed to do and started on my peer review, but didn’t finish it until later. We met with our reading group and spoke about the reading we had it was about sensory dresses to help mostly mothers who are away from their children, it’s not even worth mentioning it was super pointless but we also talked about videos annnnd we kind of got nowhere but thats okay for 50 cents a day you can save babies from becoming unraveled from their blankets, its an everyday unfortunate scenario that can easily be avoided with your money *cue sad in the eyes of the angel song*. I tried to graph on R and got terribly lost and confused and failed, I’m sorry Cassie I just do not get it and the tutorials online and on YouTube are ridiculous but I will keep trying. I did that and finished the peer review and kind of tweaked my website but I need someone to critically critique my color scheme.

Day 5 – Friday morning was actually pretty fun. Carla did a great job presenting and we did a fun activity that we are going to be doing with the mothers. We asked a series of questions for certain facial reactions  and it was just a fun time, especially with the swings between light questions and deep questions (I will insert the questions we asked). After that I went to get my tea and went back to Luddy to do a mid summer assessment survey and now I am back in the office writing this after eating a Custard soft cupcake, they’re pretty good. The HomeShare people kidnapped Carla and I to help them test out the workshop they had planned, it went pretty well and we acted as old people to make it more realistic. We made name tags and drew what our favorite feature on the watches are and what we didn’t like about the app and what we would change, it was a pretty productive workshop. After that we went back to the office and I tried to tweak my website and I failed to get that done this week so I do not have a link right now, I just need good color critique for goodness sake. I did this and wrote on my blog until it was tea time and THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD SWEETS JAMES AND DANA, they were greatness and the activity was really fun too and had a really deep meaning behind it. We drew how to make bread and iterated it 3 times with and without a team, we added and subtracted steps, ending, technology used and so forth and it came around to be a lesson about wicked problems, that being a problem that does not have a right way to solve or really hard to solve. Everyone had different ideas and even when working together we got different ideas from everyone else but we were all trying to do the same thing, which was making bread. I really liked that activity, I didn’t care if it ran over its time. I scurried on home afterwards and looked at R studio…I HATE R STUDIOOOOO, NOTHING EVERY WORKS. Or maybe I’m cursed at this point, I have no idea.

Stay tuned for pictures, I promise I will get them just be PATIENT, I am one human with two hands and not a very fast brain.

Finn