Week three went by pretty fast. I think it had something to do with the multiple meetings I had to attend including the 2 with my grad student, 1 with my mentor, 1 with PHI, 1 with our research team members in Edinburgh, 2 with another proHealth research team, basically 2 workshops, a informatics department meeting and other impromptu meetings with my grad student.
My victories of this week are as followed:
I tried to read 5 articles this week and I did!
I tried to make it to the office without using GPS and I succeeded.
I also made it through Thursday without drinking coffee!! That was my biggest victory.
Bri, Cassie, and I also drafted a codebook for our miscarriage study.
While this week was a victorious week, I did have some failures:
I was unable to create a final version of a timeline for the remaining couple of weeks that includes our day to day tasks; however, Bri and I were able to draft a more general timeline with Katie’s help that details our weekly goals.
I also was unable to start the draft of my related works as early as I wanted to because of the additional things that were added to my to-do list throughout the week. However, we were able to complete 2/3 of our week’s deliverables ( the outline for the intro, draft of the method ) before Thursday.
Another failure included the type of readings that I did this week. Although I got to read five new readings, they weren’t related to some of the subsections in our related works so we were unable to write in those few subsections. This week, I’ll be more selective of the readings I read on my own time and continue to draft my related works.
Meeting update: During the informatics department meeting on Friday, Cassie did a test run of some on some of our activities that we will be done during the study and we received feedback. Then we had a debrief meeting after. During our debrief meeting, we agreed that we have to change the way that we ask the questions, making sure that we are not asking the question with an example that would influence our participants’ response. We also realized that during the study, we would need to be able to answer any technical problems that our participants might have. We also have to be more clear in the way we ask the questions. We also analyzed the data from our mini-arc and focus group study and found that friends and family were significant support systems but people rely more on friends in/after college. In college, people tend to have more support and
academic support increases.
At the beginning of this week, I made a task list with a due date which I then fed into my google calendar the list looked at first like this:
ReDo – Methods – Monday
Draft – Methods – Tuesday (ask Cassie in Tuesday meeting)
Outline – Introduction (Wednesday – workshop with K)
Draft – Related Work (Thursday / Friday)
Read – 5 articles ( Friday )
This would have been an okay timeline if that was all I had to do, however, new tasks were added each day which caused me to have to rearrange this to-do list a lot because my priorities changed very often.
I had to add a lot more items to the list including –
Dedoose Set Up
Tutorials for Tableau and R
coding collected data group
Creating a Garmin FAQ sheet for our participants
My current timeline is below:
R or Tableau
all ARC data in dedoose
initial coding for ARC
have similar types of graphs
syncing issues are they syncing what type of data are we getting or not getting and why
experiences confirm or refute previous findings
At the end of each week, I also have to make sure I am submitting my deliverables.