Week 3 became a milestone week for both my research partner and I as we continued our research paper with the related works draft, methods draft, and introduction outline. My partner and I added insightful information we found on our articles on our own. I personally found my articles through the EBSCO database and Arnetminor, including Google Scholar. Through our literature analysis, our research paper reached a minimum of six pages, including citations. We felt extremely proud of ourselves, yet we also felt a bit worried. Upon review of CHI paper requirements, our paper would have to be no more than six pages in length. We knew we would have to narrow our related works section as we continue writing our other sections of the paper.
On Wednesday, the ProHealth REU tested graduate mentor Ben Jelen’s research materials for the Mini U event on Tuesday, June 12th. I found this activity very engaging and gave Ben feedback on the paper (i.e. there were demographic questions listed more than once, one section was not clear). Below is the circuit project with my partner, Michael, using the Arduino device to light up an LED light
Our faculty mentor, Patrick Shih, gave Flannery and I an intruiguing technique in order to keep our literature organized with the main details and points the article would be used for in our research paper. This is done through Google Sheets, where Flannery and I add/edit on this document our readings and both of us can view those details and discuss either through Google Docs or face-to-face the material in the article and how it can (if possible) be used with our research. I have made this Google sheet, along with another sheet attached that includes our specific tasks for the week. You are free to see this Google sheet through the following link:
Or click here
In order to run an organized research project, I have edited the Google Sheet where the research articles are located into a project file where the Literature, tasks, and timeline are located. Feel free to take a look at our current progress: (You may scroll through each section on the bottom bar to view each spreadsheet)
Or click here
The timeline is tentative, in which for this week my team focused on transcription of the participant interviews and reviewing CHI paper expectations in order to plan to complete at CHI paper to submit in late December or early January.
Based on my timeline, the current challenge my team is facing is recruiting caregivers and respite care services. My partner and I have reached to all major assisted living and retirement communities in Bloomington in which we have now contacted several others in the Indianapolis metro area. This leads to a failure, on recruiting caregivers at Bell Trace Living and Comfort Keepers – Bloomington. I have contacted both several times through phone, have left voicemail asking to speak with the director, and sent two emails asking for research participation interest. Unfortunately, I have not received any communication from both retirement communities. However, on Friday, I was able to meet with my mentor and have access to Dedoose. My partner and I had a tutorial session with Tom on its usage and determined that it is best for my team to analyze the given data in order to determine what we are looking for as we continue interviewing participants. From this, my partner and I began analyzing the interviews, highlighting important parts and we will come back on Monday to see what analysis and interesting parts we found interesting for our research paper.