Week 2: Research begins!

Its been a pretty crazy transition from ramp-up week to where we are now.  Working with Haley and Rashmi have been very informative and motivating. We had our first meeting on Tuesday at the Ethos house to discuss our project expectations,  updates on the tablet app with Rashmi revamping the entire code. We also went over how Hanafi and I will be working on developing the My data button in the tablet application and talked about the co-design models. They also gave us some tutorials to look at: Google code labs and medium to learn some coding techniques. The brief overview of programming was to continue our 8-ball workshop project and workshops on how to use an API to make it asynchronous.

IN our ethos meeting we also discussed the Mini-U expectations and timelines over the next few weeks as well we be as potential survey questions and initial feedback we get on our wearable application. The mentors also gave us emphasized that building data visualizations and co-design as our primary goals for the timeshare project. We were also given more guidance on papers to read for our outline that was due today for related works and methods.

We also went over programming expectations which were something I was slightly worried about since I have very little programming knowledge, but I’m willing to learn everything that’s needed. Rashmi suggested I start learning Java, angular.js, and vue.js, this week I’ve already started taking a course on javascript through https://classroom.udacity.com/, in conjunction with playing around in the android studio for our 8-ball application to get a feel for working with android software.

Overall, it’s been a very chaotic and productive week. The only drawback of this week was Mendeley Desktop has been very uncooperative on my MacBook Pro, so it’s taking more time getting used to Zotero as my ACM and not having sync capabilities with shareLaTex I  feel very lucky to have a very goal-oriented partner in Hanifa,  which is good because she pushes me to stay on task as I can easily get distracted  or overwhelmed with the  current work load and with GRE meetings  upcoming it’s going to a  be very exciting 8 weeks!