1 week down, 9 more to go!

Today was a relatively easy day. I attended a meeting at 9 am to meet with my mentors to discuss the research I will be doing with my partner Eugene Cox. Our main goal for the summer is to design and build a data visualization for older adults wearing a commercially available physical activity trackers: Garmin.

Today we also had our first ProHealth Tea! I had a delicious chocolate Blu Boy cake. Katie Siek mentioned how much she loved this cake a couple days ago so I was excited to try it out! It did not disappoint.

During the ProHealth Tea, we also pitched our project for the first time. Here is what I have so far (work in progress)

Hello, my name is Hanifa Hotelwala and I am a senior computer science major at DePauw University. For this summer, I will be a part of the HomeSHARE research team. In HomeSHARE we enhance older people’s homes with smart technology by creating a geographically distributed test beds. Many older adults prefer to age-in place rather than moving to a retirement home. So this summer we will be hosting co-design workshops to first understand and meet their needs and then proceed to design and build a data visualization for older adults wearing activity trackers.

I am looking forward to refining and perfecting this pitch.