Week 1 – Day 1

Hello All,

My first day at IU was filled with long walks in the heat and thunderstorms hitting right after work (leaving me drenched yet again). The IU campus is beautiful and the tour allowed me to get better sense of direction of the important buildings I should know during my duration here. I met my research professor, David Crandall, today during lunch and became enthused with the possibilities that Computer Science offer. It is my goal, by the end of this program, to be able to get a better sense of what I want to do with my Computer Science major and how I can combine it with my Studio Art major.

Writing research papers (or any papers really) has never been my strong suit so I hope this program will help build my skills on writing and researching effectively. For homework, we were asked to read two research papers and summarize them:

Designing Health and Fitness Apps with Older Adults: Examining the Value of Experience-Based Co-Design 

By: Christina N. Harrington, Lauren Wilcox, Kay Connelly, Wendy Rogers, and Jon Sanford

Summary: The paper addresses the complaints that older adults have on current mobile fitness tracking applications. The age of mobile apps is often seen as dominantly young consumer industry, yet this paper hopes to demonstrate the importance of keeping an older consumer in mind. Providing an application that can be favored by all age groups is a fundamental part of creating a healthy life and a healthy society. The method of research was by having older consumers try out a set of applications and give feedback on what needs to get improved. These responses were varied from machine learning capability to being able to monitor your heart rate/blood pressure. However, such features could have potential downfalls due to its inaccuracy and need of a large data set for each consumer, in order to effectively analyze and give useful feedback. Nonetheless, the approach is beneficial in getting user experiences as a way of re-designing future applications.

How Information Sharing about Care Recipients by Family Caregivers Impacts Family Communication

By: Naomi Yamashita, Hideaki Kuzuoka, Takashi Kudo, Keiji Hirata, Eiji Aramaki, Kazuki Hattori

Summary: The paper focuses on the impact of a tracking application that contains a sharing feature, allowing for caregivers to share experiences with other caregivers. The idea was based off a previous study by Consolvo who based his research on fitness applications that were designed to share fitness goals in a online social platform in order to motivate users and keep each other accountable. The results of this study showed that the sharing feature in the caregiver application, helped motivate both the caregivers and the recipients, also improving communication. It created a new communication channel amongst the two that was indirect yet effective. Although the results were great, I question the negative impact it can have if caregivers were not as diligent with their recordings as the participants were. In other words, how would the tracking technology be able to supervise content so it does not cause more hardship on the users?

We also had the pleasure of having PHD student, Ben Jelen, introduce us to citation managers for the first time and the concept of forward and backward citations. Using one of Professor Siek’s papers, When Do We Eat? An Evaluation of Food Items Input into an Electronic Food Monitoring Application, I will provide a number of her citations and other work that has cited this specific paper.

Backward Citations:

J. Dwyer, et al., “Estimation of Usual Intakes: What We Eat in America – NHANES,” Sciences J. Nutr., vol. 133, pp. 609S-623S, 2003.

S. S. Intille, et al., “Just-in-time technology to encourage incremental, dietary behavior change,” presented at AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings, 2003.

M. Martin-Lester, “Cognitive Function in Dialysis Patients: Case Study of the Anemic Patient,” ANNA Journal, vol. 24, pp. 359-365, 1997.

L. Mamykina, et al., “Investigating health management practices of individuals with diabetes,” presented at Proc. CHI 2006, 2006.

C. Rand, et al., “Long-term metered-dose inhaler adherence in a clinical trial,” Am J Respir Crit Care med, vol. 152, pp. 580-588, 1995.

Forward Citations:

Oliver Amft, Gerhard Tröster, “Recognition of dietary activity events using on-body sensors,
Artificial Intelligence in Medicine”, Volume 42, Issue 2, 2008, Pages 121-136, ISSN 0933-3657, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.artmed.2007.11.007.

Jakob E. Bardram , Mads Frost , Károly Szántó , Maria Faurholt-Jepsen , Maj Vinberg , Lars Vedel Kessing, “Designing mobile health technology for bipolar disorder: a field trial of the monarca system”, Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 27-May 02, 2013, Paris, France, [doi>10.1145/2470654.2481364]

Tamara Denning , Adrienne Andrew , Rohit Chaudhri , Carl Hartung , Jonathan Lester , Gaetano Borriello , Glen Duncan, “BALANCE: towards a usable pervasive wellness application with accurate activity inference”, Proceedings of the 10th workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, p.1-6, February 23-24, 2009, Santa Cruz, California

Menschner P, Prinz A, Koene P, Kobler F, Altmann M, et al. (2011) “Reaching into patients’ homes-Participatory designed AAL services-The case of a patient-centered nutrition tracking service”. Electronic Markets 63-76.

Frank Bentley , Konrad Tollmar, “The power of mobile notifications to increase wellbeing logging behavior”, Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 27-May 02, 2013, Paris, France  [doi>10.1145/2470654.2466140]

I have chosen to use the citation manager Mendeley. I choose this manager because a lot of peers have experience with it, allowing me to get help when needed. The manager also has both a desktop/browser, and mobile interface which allows portability. In addition to its cross platforms, it also has the ability to store the data on the cloud, allowing me to transfer data between platforms simultaneously. The design looks great and user friendly, and it provides a google extension which allows me to cite papers with just one click.

Thanks for listening!

G