New Beginning and Week 1 Overview

Hello and welcome to my Blog!

My name is Gustavo Razo, an Applied Mathematics major at the University of California, Merced with an emphasis in Computational Data and minor in Natural Sciences Education. I’m originally from Oxnard, California but currently live an hour and a half north of Los Angeles in Bakersfield.

At Twin Peaks in San Francisco, California

This last weekend was a memorable weekend and intriguing experience to travel from my hometown in California to Indiana University. The weekend, beginning at Bradford Woods, included a retreat into meeting all of the REU students, including myself. The retreat allowed all students to feel comfortable with one another and learn the different backgrounds and colleges these students come from. Within the weekend included many activities, such as a mohawk challenge in which students helped one another cross a wired rope. We all walked through mud and rain which allowed students to have a more comfortable zone on their personal fears.

Group Photo of the Meeting

____________________________________________________________________________________

Day 1: Today was the first cohert meeting with ProHealth, SROC, and other undergraduate research students. At this meeting, I was given a full insight on the expectations for this week and how I will formulate research reasoning and hypothesis with a peer mentor.

How Information Sharing about Care Recipients by Family Caregivers Impacts Family Communication (2018):

Yamashita et al. focused on caregiving depression and the possible solution to develop a better relationship between the caregiver and care recipient. The researchers noted the different affections each caregiver had based on the recipient’s primary actions to the caregiver.

Designing Health and Fitness Apps with Older Adults: Examining the Value of Experience-Based Co-Design (2018):

Harrington et al. described in detail a possible application focused on health fitness for older adults who wish to be physically active. The research conducted with Harrington et al. saw the different activity spectrum that are parallel and different from average men and older men. The team viewed the physical activity recorded on the men’s mHealth applications on their smartphone, which collected all data necessary for Harrington et al. to keep records consisted with older men using the application. The results of Harrington et al. demonstrated a strong need of a co-designer for older men and routine exercise .

The citation manager I was able to download is Mendeley, which turned to be a strong need as I read through the two articles. I decided on this one first since Ben Jelen, one of the graduate mentors, described Mendeley as a top choice for undergraduate research.

My Citation Tree example focused on Patrick Shih on the following article:

Remote and alone: Coping with the being the remote member on the team Benjamin Koehne, Patrick C Shih, Judith S Olson (2012)

Forward Citations:

Human Safety and risk management Al Glendon, S Clarke, E McKenna (2016)

More than nomads: Mobility, knowledge work, and infrastructure I Erickson, MH Jarrahi, L Thompson (2013)

Virtual team effectiveness: The role of knowledge sharing and trust M Alsharo, D Gregg, R Ramirez (2017)

Beyond talking heads: multimedia artifact creation, use, and sharing in distributed meetings J Marlow, S Carter, N Good (2016)

Collaboratories GM Olson (2014)

Backward Citations:

Bly, S. A., Harrison, S. R., and Irwin, S. Media spaces:
Bringing people together in a video, audio, and
computing environment. Communications of the ACM
36, (1993)

Hartman, R.I., Stoner, C.R., and Arora, R. Developing
Successful Organizational Telecommuting Arrangements:
Worker Perceptions and Managerial Prescriptions.
SAM Advanced Management Journal 57, 3
(1992), 35.

Reddy, M. and Dourish, P. A finger on the pulse:
Temporal rhythms and information seeking in medical
work. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on
Computer Supported Cooperative Work, (2002), 344-
353.

O’Leary, M.B. and Mortensen, M. Go (con)figure:
subgroups, imbalance, and isolates in geographically
dispersed teams. Organizational Science, 21.1 (2010),
115-131.