Introduction and REU Bradford Woods Experience

Hello all! My name is Sheraya, but I’ll most likely be going by Rae for most of the summer. I’m a rising junior at DePauw University and computer science major with hopefully a sociology minor soon.

This summer I was lucky enough to be chosen for a computer science REU, which stands for Research Experience for Undergrads; it takes place at Indiana University and lasts for 10 weeks. I’m specifically part of the ProHealth REU, which combines technology and health care.

All of the REU students in the ProHealth and SROC programs got together for the first time this weekend and headed to Bradford Woods, a camp owned by IU, for numerous bonding activities. In the picture below, I’m on the far right in the green shirt.

REU_Bradford_Woods

A handful of us came from Indiana (there’s actually four of us from DePauw University!), but the rest are scattered across the country.  We did some really neat activities, including climbing the Alpine Tower, a giant adventure tower, and working our way through teamwork challenges, like a low ropes course, a Barrel of Monkeys challenge, etc. Though rain dampened things (specifically us) for a while, the sun eventually came out and we still had a good time.

Bright and early Sunday morning we packed up, came to campus and got settled in. Check out my next post for more info on the first “real” day of the REU!

If you’re interested in learning a little more about me, check out my LinkedIn page!
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sheraya-smith/

If you’re interested in learning more about Bradford Woods, watch the video below. They do a lot of neat things, especially for kiddos with special needs.