07/17/2017 – 07/21/2017

On Monday, July 17, Anne and I frantically worked to complete the IRB and make changes that Katie and Ben suggested. During our meeting with Ben at 1:00 p.m., we reviewed our pre-survey, post-survey, and questionnaire for the study. Afterwards, I worked on completing directions for testing the toolkit and the general protocol of the study.

On Tuesday, July 18, Anne and I continued revising the IRB and submitted it! We spent the rest of our day editing our poster and creating the toolkits for the study we will (hopefully) conduct.

On Wednesday, July 19, I started creating our project video and continued iterating on our poster. We also took an excessive amount of pictures of our toolkits and bases in the white box for miscellaneous deliverables, including our video and paper.  At our meeting with Ben, we discussed revisions that could be made to our poster, such as changing the labels within the toolkit section. Katie gave us a summary of what to expect when doing remote research during our Wednesday workshop. I discovered that we had received feedback for our IRB, so Anne and I spent the rest of the afternoon revising the Questionnaire section and attached documents of the IRB.

On Thursday, July 20, Anne and I retrieved participatory design photos from Ben for our video. We met with Katie a little after 9:00 a.m. to talk about our poster and video. We then finalized the IRB, updated the attached protocol, and submitted it for the second time! We continued working on our video and filmed the audio for it. I also finished laser-cutting the materials that I will use for my toolkit.

On Friday, July 21, I and a few other REU students agreed to print awards for students and mentors before the Prohealth Tea at 3:00 p.m. At 10:00 a.m., we had our final Friday meeting and discussed the tasks that we need to complete before leaving next week. The theme of the meeting was to describe our lives in at most five emojis! I worked on the video storyboard and the weekly peer review before meeting with Ben at 1:00 p.m. Ben gave us feedback on our personal websites and quickly reviewed our TEI papers. At 3:00 p.m., we had our Prohealth tea, where we discussed our future plans. Afterwards, I finished the peer review and 3-D printed the rest of the plastic magnet holders for my toolkit.

Link to Updated Poster:

https://iu.box.com/s/e577xc368tjcj2b6u85c0a35z5a4dc6u

Link to Video:

https://docs.google.com/a/georgetown.edu/presentation/d/1SdMN50YKLcf0DI7M6dg5Xju9jmrqa_iovpPKMBJn6pM/edit?usp=sharing

Plan for Finishing Project: We will conduct studies testing the effectiveness of our electronic toolkit and write the TEI paper!!!

5 Things I wish I knew going into the Prohealth REU experience:

1. Research requires flexibility – it may change!
  2. There is a lot less computer programming involved.
  3. Plan on doing more work than you expect! Don’t worry – you’ll still have a blast.
  4.  Communication is the key to success.
  5. Expect to walk – a lot! 😉

5 Things future Prohealth REU students should consider doing to be successful:

1. Be proactive.
  2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
  3.  Get enough sleep!
  4.  Plan, plan, plan!
  5. Enjoy yourself!

Food of the Week: Sweet Potato and Cucumber Sushi from Ami

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxisCNINC5BJb2FSSDlmN3BUUFU/view?usp=sharing