Week Eight.

It was a very busy week. We had a lot of stuff to complete that were assigned to us during our last week meeting with Dr. Siek and Dr. Jen. Besides that I had to complete my weekly deliverables here at IU. So, I had to work quiet a lot this week than the other weeks.

• Finding the reviewers and physician’s gender

We need to find out the gender of the the reviewer and reviewee for the qualitative analysis. So, we used python’s sex machine module to find the gender of each doctors and their reviewer.

•Filter reviews with only 0-3 words

Reviews that are of length 0 to 3 words do not provide enough information for qualitative analysis. Like if a review says ‘good doctor’ we can’t figure out why the reviewer think s/he is a good doctor. So, we remove the reviews that are less than three words.

• Filter negative reviews that are purely financial or just about the staff

We were unable to perform this because there were almost zero reviews that talked only about financial stuff. If the review talks negative about staffs, it also talks something about the physician.  So, we wont be cleaning our data based on this.

• Create word clouds for different star levels

• Poster presentation

We made a poster that contained information about our research, it had the following :

– histogram of number of words at each star level

– Box and whiskers plots of star rating per state and review length based on star rating

I took 100 sample reviews to check the accuracy of our data collected. Among them I figured that around 40% of the reviews were of specialties other than urologists so, I will have to clean the data again.

Research is fun, sometimes I feel frustrated because I have been redoing and re-redoing a lot of stuff and I know I still have to redo a lot of stuff.

• Lightening talk

As I have mentioned in my earlier blog, my lightening talk went good but it didn’t go as I had expected. I was nervous at first but after I watched few of my friend’s presentation I felt little comfortable. I have realized that I have to improve few of the stuff from the poster. It includes adding some more texts at the beginning so that viewers can have a good understanding of our research.

• Video making

I have decided to use Zoom to make a video of our 10 weeks here in IU. At first I was thinking to make a brief and entertaining video but I have realized that i have a lot of stuff to do in terms of research, weekly deliverables and presentation so, I will make a normal screen recorded video with some music added in it.

Next week

We have been repeating and redoing a lot of stuff which ranges from data cleaning to data visualization. Our task for next week includes :

• making our paper ready
  • start coding
  • work with data visualization

Reviewer response : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_jBq5FKS24MUlplVEo5R3ZEZGs