Chapter Seven of Ten: Preparation for End Deliverables

Hello, again!

This week is Lucky Number 🍀  7!

I would say that my team has gotten a lot done this week. First, we met to collaborate our ideas for our prototype. Both Max and I had great ideas about what we thought should be included in our prototype, and how it should look. After meeting for an hour, we came up with a rough draft of what features we would like on the app, and why. We had to do a few iterations before deciding which features to include from each of us.

We prepared a draft of our poster for Anna to take a look at to prepare for our poster session at the end of this summer. Anna showed us her poster from her REU, and gave great pointers on what to include, what to take out, and how to better represent our research study through the poster. She also showed us some features in power point that would be helpful as well. So, now the only thing that we have to worry about is putting in our information in an organized, and professional way. You can have a look at our poster draft below.

Displaying Poster Draft.PNG

This week we also prepared for our lightening talks. A lightening talk is when a person delivers a quick presentation to explain their research (or area of interest) to others. The point of a lightening talk is to spark the interest of others. Doing lightening talks may inspire others to support your cause, (or motivate them to see your full presentation during a conference). For my lightening talk, I made sure to make my presentation flow so that it was easy to understand. At first, I had an overload of information for my lightening talk. I included a slide with quotes from participants. I decided to take it out because I did not want to spend time talking about the quotes. It was challenging to get through my presentation quickly though, because I am a slow talker. I’ll let you decide how well I did, though. Check out my presentation here ; I was at the beginning, so you can’t miss me!

We also met this week to go over how to transcribe the interviews that we’ve had over the past few weeks. oTranscribe is what we will use to type out points from our interviews. For an update on Dedoose, we now have official student accounts that we will be working from. I have to link my new account to my older account (which was a free trial). Today we also took time to create our outline of our storyboard.

Our ProHealth Tea this Friday was great! The entire day was wonderful. We surprised one of the graduate mentors, Tom, for his birthday! It was great to see his reaction to the surprise. For our ProHealth Tea we had some delicious pizza, and cupcakes. I was very nervous about presenting my lightening talk, but I made it through. I am very appreciative for that experience.

The time to leave is approaching, and I am starting to reflect more about the program as a whole. I have learned so much, and met some really amazing people along the way!

Giving you my personal perspective from the palm trees of SC to the corn fields of IN.

-Meagan Price