Week 7 and I am predicting there will be less and less sleep ahead…

Hi all,

In today’s post I will be addressing my lightning talk, poster information, video information, meeting updates, challenges/failures/iterations, and an updated timeline.

Lightning Talk: 

So at the ProHealth REU we have a Friday tea every other week and at this Friday’s tea we will each be giving 1 minute lightning talks about our projects! A lightning talk is what it sounds like, which is a quick and interesting talk that lasts anywhere between 1-3 minutes about ones research project.

I prepared for the talk by making a slide deck and brainstorming different ideas. Most of my brainstorming was just stream of thought that I wrote down on a piece of paper and afterwards I transformed some of these ideas to my slide deck. After I got my initial thoughts down on my slides I continuously edited them until they had to be turned. This entire process helped me think of what I might say in my talk also and now all that is left is actually giving my talk, which I will be providing a link to.

Here is a link to my slide deck and I will add a video link to my next blog post of my talk.

Poster/Video: 

Another task we have is to create a draft for a poster. We have not yet created an actual physical poster draft for our poster but we have taken a look into free online poster creation sites and here are a links to a few of them: link1, link2, and link3.

Here is a link to an example poster our PhD student mentor Fernando provided for us.

For our video we have continuously been gathering photos/snip its of videos, but have not yet compiled everything together. We have also brainstormed out loud some of our ideas, but we have not yet created a physical story board.

Meeting Updates: 

We have had a few in depth meetings this past week as well as continuously updating each other on slack.

In our meetings we have been discussing mainly our Facebook group, ARC activities, our papers, the TreatYoSelf app, and much more.

We finally launched our first Facebook group and so far it has been going well and people are participating. Our next activity is ranking of problems and we are getting that prepared for Sunday.

We have completely changed our paper direction so we will be doing a lot of iteration on the next because it is very needed.

The TreatYoSelf Drexel group got back to us about our video and guidebook and we will be going back and forth with them about what is necessary to change and keep for those when introducing the app for the FB group.

Challenges/Failures/Iterations:

Our biggest concern right now is that we have changed the concept of our paper and we will have to do a lot of iteration on it! I’m really hoping we will be able to get a lot of it done, but we know if more changes need to be made we will be continuing to do research after the REU hopefully as well.

The FB activities are always being iterated upon as well as many other things.

e-Nable Project Updates: 

Our iRB is going to be expedited which means we can start getting into actual work sooner than we expected wohoo!

Timeline Update: 

Key: Things that were slightly changed in the timeline are in italics.

Week 1: Get to know the basics of the ProHealth REU and meet other REU students and mentors!

Week 2: Have related work and methods outline done. Read and explore more about our specific project including transcribing, summaries, and starting to look at the data. Getting IRB confirmation and other accounts sorted.

Week 3: Draft for related work and methods and an outline for the introduction are due. Delve more into data analysis and finding major themes, along with looking into possible algorithms. Review Facebook activities and solidify what we will do in these activities. Start designing how we will present TreatYoSelf Drexel App (video and guidelines booklet). Will find out how recruitment from PositiveLink is going on 6/8/27. More reading.

Week 4: Outline for abstract, draft for introduction, and peer reviews for both related work & methods are due. Start designing an algorithm for our forum data. Meeting with Positive Link to discuss Facebook activities and if changes need to be made to them. Have almost finalized video and guidelines for TreatYoSelf app to be discussed and reviewed with other before meeting on Friday. Meeting with TreatYoSelf group on Friday 6/16/17 to discuss how we will be addressing their app to the Facebook group.  Possibly launch the Facebook group and distribute questionnaire and ice breakers.

Week 5: Draft for abstract & related work, peer review for introduction, methods finalized, and an outline for findings and discussion. Depending on PositiveLink’s recruitment, we will or will not launch the FB group this week. If it is launched we need to run our FB activities by PositiveLink and we’ll begin our questionnaire, introductions, and ice breakers.  Use TreatYoSelf’s groups critics to improve our video and guidelines. Solidify our algorithm for the forum data and start distributing it (maybe –> Depended on the data).  Draft our online professional presence. Finish up transcriptions and readings that were assigned. 

Week 6: Peer review for abstract, drafts for introduction, findings, & discussion, and a finalized related work (iteration, iteration, and more iteration). Receive peer review data and give more reviews. We are planning on fully launching the Facebook group for those recruited online on Monday, July 3rd!  Since it is being launch we will be monitoring the group and implementing the guidelines, introductions, and ice breakers that we have created for the first week. We have also made some progress with our form data and we keep iterating on this as well. I will continue working on my online professional presence and other deliverables (videos, etc.). Receive feedback from Drexel group about TreatYoSelf guidebook and video and make necessary changes. Work on making FB activities applicable to both PositiveLink recruits and FB recruits. 

Week 7: Draft for abstract, finalized introduction, and peer review for findings & discussion. Continue iterating with online professional presence and other deliverables (videos, etc.). Facebook group should be launched, we will continue to monitor it and collect data while simultaneously launching more activities. We need to have our ranking of activity figured out and to be ready to implement. We need to find the best way to collect our Facebook data.Receive feedback from Drexel group about TreatYoSelf guidebook and video and make necessary changes. Here is a link to the video we made for them, take a look! Much more…

Week 8: Peer review for abstract and drafts for findings & discussion. Completely change our paper direction, which means iterate, iterate, and ohh wait iterate some more! Make necessary changes to the TreatYoSelf video and guidebook. Changes to FB activities: deploy ranking of problems activity and finalize photo elicitation activity. Work on poster and video for last week. Continuously change online professional presence. Keep studying for the GRE and figure out what grad programs what I would like to apply to! I’m a bit scared of figuring all of this out, but I am sure it’ll all work itself out. 

Week 9: Finalized for abstract, findings, and discussion. More…

Week 10: Everything is camera ready!!!!

Have a great weekend everyone! Picture Credits: https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-84bd03eb0483421e6c31e127d8a7dc86-c

Until Next Time…

Julia 🙂