Week 6, time is flying by way to fast!

Hi all,

In this weeks post I will be addressing my professional online presence, meeting updates, REU project updates, e-Nable project updates, challenges/failures/iterations, and an updated timeline.

Professional Online Presence: 

My current professional online presences include a linkedIn profile, professional website, a profile on ResearchGate, a GitHub repository, and I am considering getting a professional twitter.

linkedIn Profile: 

My linkedIn profile is currently my most up to date online presence. Some minor changes can still be made to it, but overall it is pretty strong. If you would like to take a look please select this link.

Professional Website: 

My professional website is still very much in progress. I have started to narrow down a general look but I am still editing and adding so that it is fully updated. Select this link to take a look.

ResearchGate: 

I personally do not have any published work as of now, but I am hoping to have some after this summer! I have mostly used research gate to connect with others research I am interested in and doing background research on others.

GitHub: 

I will admit this is not as updated as it probably should be. I am working on continuously iterating on this.

Twitter: 

I have heard both pros and cons to having a professional twitter and I am still quite undecided if I would like to get one. If anyone has any recommendations/thoughts about this topic please let me know them!

Meeting Updates: 

So far this week we had one major meeting Wednesday afternoon. We talked about a wide range of topics, but we were mostly focused on making sure everything that needs to be ready is prepared for our Facebook launch on Monday!

REU Project Updates: 

Probably the most exciting update right now is that we were successful with recruiting from different online Facebook groups and because of this we will be fully launching the Facebook group this coming Monday on July 3rd.

As with PositiveLink recruitment we have finally heard back from them and they have about 7 people but are still waiting on 9 people who have not yet signed their consent forms. When we have enough candidates for that we will launch a separate secret Facebook group for just PositiveLink people.

We are very excited to be launching the group so soon! Their are many activities we will be doing for the study that are based off of the ARC method and we have continuously iterated with them since week one in hopes that they will have good responses from our Facebook group. I am sure depending on how participants are interacting with our activities we will have to do many more iterations.

We are approaching our project from many different angles and because of this we are hoping that we in the end we can produce multiple papers out of the study!

Our paper has also been continuously making steady progress. This is in part due to our reviewer responses and here is a link to this weeks reviewer response table. 

Next week we also have our lightning talks and I am a bit nervous about that! Public speaking can be a challenge for me because of my nerves. So when I am home for the weekend, I will probably practice my lightning talk a bit with friends and family!

I have had a great time working with my entire team and I am hoping to keep working with them beyond the REU.

For a fun look at Professional Team Pic we took, select this link!

e-Nable Project Updates: 

I have taken on another project with my faculty mentor for the summer Dr. Patrick Shih, who is awesome! The project is researching on the e-Nable community. They have already written one paper so far on their findings, but they are now trying to further their research and because of this it is at more of the beginning stages. Follow this link to be able to read their published paper.

I personally have contributed so far by reaching out to some of my e-Nable contacts and a few other minor things.

The next step is getting some more IRBs approved for the research, especially since we will mostly be interacting with children. I am having  a meeting late Thursday with Dr. Shih on how to best approach the new IRB.

Challenges/Failures/Iterations: 

My challenges this week have come in all shapes and forms. We are always iterating on our paper, project, and other things. Sometimes people’s communication get’s a little crossed, but overall we address our confusion appropriately and get it sorted out. I have discussed some of our other challenges in sections above, but overall we are taking our hurdles as they come.

Timeline Update: 

Key: Things that were slightly changed in the timeline are in italics.

Week 1: Get to know the basics of the ProHealth REU and meet other REU students and mentors!

Week 2: Have related work and methods outline done. Read and explore more about our specific project including transcribing, summaries, and starting to look at the data. Getting IRB confirmation and other accounts sorted.

Week 3: Draft for related work and methods and an outline for the introduction are due. Delve more into data analysis and finding major themes, along with looking into possible algorithms. Review Facebook activities and solidify what we will do in these activities. Start designing how we will present TreatYoSelf Drexel App (video and guidelines booklet). Will find out how recruitment from PositiveLink is going on 6/8/27. More reading.

Week 4: Outline for abstract, draft for introduction, and peer reviews for both related work & methods are due. Start designing an algorithm for our forum data. Meeting with Positive Link to discuss Facebook activities and if changes need to be made to them. Have almost finalized video and guidelines for TreatYoSelf app to be discussed and reviewed with other before meeting on Friday. Meeting with TreatYoSelf group on Friday 6/16/17 to discuss how we will be addressing their app to the Facebook group.  Possibly launch the Facebook group and distribute questionnaire and ice breakers.

Week 5: Draft for abstract & related work, peer review for introduction, methods finalized, and an outline for findings and discussion. Depending on PositiveLink’s recruitment, we will or will not launch the FB group this week. If it is launched we need to run our FB activities by PositiveLink and we’ll begin our questionnaire, introductions, and ice breakers.  Use TreatYoSelf’s groups critics to improve our video and guidelines. Solidify our algorithm for the forum data and start distributing it (maybe –> Depended on the data).  Draft our online professional presence. Finish up transcriptions and readings that were assigned. 

Week 6: Peer review for abstract, drafts for introduction, findings, & discussion, and a finalized related work (iteration, iteration, and more iteration). Receive peer review data and give more reviews. We are planning on fully launching the Facebook group for those recruited online on Monday, July 3rd!  Since it is being launch we will be monitoring the group and implementing the guidelines, introductions, and ice breakers that we have created for the first week. We have also made some progress with our form data and we keep iterating on this as well. I will continue working on my online professional presence and other deliverables (videos, etc.). Receive feedback from Drexel group about TreatYoSelf guidebook and video and make necessary changes. Work on making FB activities applicable to both PositiveLink recruits and FB recruits. 

Week 7: Draft for abstract, finalized introduction, and peer review for findings & discussion. Continue iterating with online professional presence and other deliverables (videos, etc.). Facebook group should be launched, we will continue to monitor it and collect data while simultaneously launching more activities. We need to have our ranking of activity figured out and to be ready to implement. We need to find the best way to collect our Facebook data.Receive feedback from Drexel group about TreatYoSelf guidebook and video and make necessary changes. Here is a link to the video we made for them, take a look! Much more…

Week 8: Peer review for abstract and drafts for findings & discussion. More…

Week 9: Finalized for abstract, findings, and discussion. More…

Week 10: Everything is camera ready!!!!

July 4th Plans: 

I am headed back to Cleveland for the weekend to visit with family and friends for the long weekend! I am excited to see everyone and to enjoy all of the different festivities.

I hope everyone has a nice 4th of July!

Picture Credits: https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2015/06/29/14/35/independence-day-825621_960_720.jpg

Until Next Time…

Julia 🙂