Week two.

We were all relieved from the extensive classes and assignments from the first week.  I studied the research papers and wrote their summaries. I had never studied that many research papers in my life but, since all the papers were interesting and it was almost impossible to start our research without getting insights on what similar kind of research has already been done , I read all papers and took notes on them. Most research papers talked about the way people rate their doctors and their effectiveness in making the health sector more efficient. Reviews are very important because they tell a lot about  the doctor in terms of his service and the way he treats his patients. People these days trust the reviews posted online so, they tend to follow the reviews.

I wrote a good summary of nine research papers that discussed about the way people rate their doctors online. After that, we had to write an outline of our research papers. I wrote a simple one with abstract, introduction and methods in it.  On Wednesday we had a small seminar on writing research outline. While in the seminar I realized that I was writing the outline in wrong order but I had already shared my summary and outline with Dr. Siek hence, I didn’t bother to change it again. In fact, I waited until I got reviews from Dr. Siek about my outline and summary.

I think there are two ways of collecting data one through API and the other by web scraping.

We will be studying the way doctors are rated online.

On Wednesday I had a meeting with Dr. Seik where she taught me about using Mendeley and writing summaries. We had a brief discussion about the research project. She guided me on writing outline and presenting the data in the outline. We are getting more closer in deciding how we will be conducting our research. As far as we know, we will use APIs to collect datas from the doctor rating websites. We talked about getting prepared for our next week meeting with Dr. Jennifer Mankoff from Carnegie Mellon university.  In short this week taught a lot about research and what we will be doing the next week.