Week Three.

As I had mentioned in my previous blog, we had a meeting with Dr. Jennifer Mankoff and her team from Carnegie Mellon University. The meeting went pretty well. We made plans on how we will be proceeding ahead with the project. As per the decision Dr. Jennifer Mankoff will join our group in Mendely and we will work together. I will collect reviews of top 100 doctors online.

Most of the reviews will be of the health care providers who have specialization in erectile dysfunction and prostate cancer. Until the meeting I had a different view on our project because the idea that I had in my ind about our project was quiet different then what we talked about in the meeting.

As per discussed in meeting my timeline goes like this.

June 5 : Get more familiar with and also find out other ways to import data and improve the outline. Read some papers that were discussed in the meeting.

June 6 :Start using API to collect data from the website. I will collect reviews that are posted online from Yelp using Postman, postman is a GUI that helps in running API faster.

June 7 : Write blogs, update the research outline. Be ready for the meeting with the group.

June 8: By this day I should be ready with some data and also I should have a concrete idea on how we will be analyzing the data. I also need to be ready for the meeting on Friday so, that I can be ready to grab new ideas for the other week.

June 9 : Present ideas on the meeting and be ready for the other week.

Comparatively I worked more this week than other past weeks because I had to get familiar with working process of APIs and also be prepared to meet the deadlines at the same time. As it is said “Everything is difficult unless it becomes easy”, same applies in life and also in research. When you try to learn something new and you struggle to know what it really is and when you finally learn about it you realize how long did it take to learn such a simple stuff. Same happened with me. It’s not that I had never heard about API’s, in fact if I had stayed in my institution we were supposed to use Bluemix api for our research.

In addition to that, I read few papers on api and health rating websites, which were quiet interesting. I have been in touch with Lindsay from CMU to talk about our progress in collecting reviews.

On Thursday, I had a meeting with Dr. Seik, where she reviewed by introduction and suggested some edits. We talked abut my progress so far and what we will be doing until Monday. She gave me feedbacks on my paper and my work so far. I studied a lot about APIs and lately, I have been realizing it is not as complex as I had thought.  In short, it was a busy week and I learned a lot about writing paper, using Mendeley and using APIs this week.