Bust a Move – Day 5

This Morning
I started work by meeting with Katie Siek and Ben Jelen about my project for the summer, Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health. I’m going to be assisting with participatory design workshops in which we will learn from older adult crafters, then teach them about electronics, and finally hold a brainstorming session about potential applications of the maker technology.

I have a few ideas about potential applications of the maker technology, like a sensor in a pill bottle to indicate if the medication has been taken already that day. I will also be learning more about the arduinos as well as laser cutting and 3D printing.  I’m very excited to start working on the project and to see what ideas the crafters have for potential prototypes.

Then I went to the ProHealth Design Lab Meeting and heard about PhD students’ goals for the summer. The theme of the meeting was Bloomington events, so we heard about Food Truck Friday, the Farmers Market, and the B-line trail. After the meeting I worked on my elevator pitch for my summer project.

This Afternoon
I worked on my elevator speech a little more.

Hi, I’m Anne Freeman. I’m a rising junior at Georgetown University performing research at Indiana University. Maker technology is designed almost exclusively for children but older adults are capable and enthusiastic about learning these skills. We are planning participatory design workshops to teach older adults about electronics and brainstorm possible applications. Our ultimate goal is to form a comprehensive toolkit so older adults can design devices independently.

I presented my elevator speech at the ProHealth Tea and heard the speeches of the other ProHeath and SROC students. We also had the infamous Blu Boy Chocolate Cake (pictured below). After the ProHealth Tea I talked with Ben Jelen a bit more about his experience as a PhD student and motivations for pursuing the degree. I’ve been contemplating what degree I’d like to get after I graduate and the conversation was very helpful.

This Evening
A few of the ProHealth students were inspired from the presentation earlier in the day and decided to go to Food Truck Friday. It did not disappoint.

Song of the Day