Wide Open Spaces – Day 2

This Morning
Today I woke up early to go to the gym before work. The facilities are very nice and it felt empty. This morning I learned a bit more about the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Ethics within research. I began working on some of my modules for the collaborative institutional training initiative (CITI). Later I learned how to use GitHub and solder with paper circuits. We are planning on teaching Girl Scouts later in the summer how to solder paper circuits (I sent in my background consent form earlier today).

Soldering Tools

Github
Why use github?
Github is easily accessible and provides a way to host different versions of code online. It provides a collaborative environment and allows multiple people to work on the same project easily.

Why not just box or drive or dropbox?
While these other options are great. Github allows users to checkout a main copy of a project and then make edits, without affecting the original. Additionally, Github saves changes and provides version control automatically whereas with box/drive/dropbox this has to be performed manually.

What can we NOT put in github?
Github is open to the public so sensitive information should not be put in Github.

This Afternoon
After lunch I installed Arduino on my laptop and tried some sample programs on the LilyPad Arduino.I also was introduced to the LaTeX site and some basic formatting principles. Later I heard about two more potential projects for the summer. Anna’s project was about using technology to help those dealing with death. Tom’s project was about using technology to help patients struggling with multiple conflicting comorbidities.

After Work
I went to the library with some other kids from the ProHealth REU. I worked through the tutorial on github to learn a bit more about the commands and downloaded the desktop version. Using Github was a bit of a challenge. I had used subversion in some of my previous classes but I had not dealt with branches and merging changes. It took a while, but eventually I figured out how to upload everything to the Github repository.

Song of the Day