Boot Camp Day 1

Blog

We got quite a bit done today. We did interviews about the program, got our new IDs, had lunch with some of our possible mentors, toured the campus, got the introduction to what we’ll be doing this week, installed ShareLaTeX, talked about citations, and watched the first of the research presentations that we’ll be seeing throughout the week. Seeing as how there were so few items on the schedule, the rest of the week seems pretty daunting now. I’m looking forward to more presentations on research though. Ben’s was very interesting, and even though I hope to work under Dr. Natarajan I’m very excited to see what the other professors and grad students have to offer.

The tour of campus was nothing new to me, but I enjoyed walking around with everyone, and I like the new IDs that IU uses now. There’s a slight hiccup with my account that I’m in the process of trying to work out, where my name somehow got misspelled somewhere down the pipeline causing a second account to be created for me. This means that a lot of the REU stuff is currently not linked to my original account. Fortunately I live in town, so surviving for a little bit without campus access won’t be too much of a hassle.

A final note: for future reference the paper summary assignment as it stands may be slightly confusing. It came immediately after Ben presented his research, but represents an earlier state in his research than was presented in the slides. If the intent was for this to be a trick question to trip up those not reading carefully I suppose it makes sense, but I felt that it might end up being needlessly confusing.

Paper Summary

Empowering Older Adult Crafters To Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health

This paper outlines past, and proposed future, research regarding the mental, and physical health benefits of older adults (65+) learning to craft health related devices themselves. Groups of older adults have been observed and surveyed by researchers, and in the future they plan to find participants to work on a hands on workshop based around crafting these devices. The study combines the growing interest in helping older adults integrate technology into their lives/health, and art therapy to take the field in a new direction that might provide unique insights. While the results so far are interesting, they’re also part of what needs to be a much larger project to produce convincing results. The sample size is small and demographically homogeneous, and there are still additional steps in the research that have not yet been conducted.

Ben Jelen, Katie Siek. (2017). Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health. In Workshop on Interactive Systems in Healthcare (WISH) at CHI 2017.

Citation Tree

The following is the article that I started with:

Natarajan, Sriraam, Tushar Khot, Kristian Kersting, Bernd Gutmann, and Jude Shavlik. 2012. “Gradient-Based Boosting for Statistical Relational Learning: The Relational Dependency Network Case.” Machine Learning 86 (1): 25–56. doi:10.1007/s10994-011-5244-9.

Forward Citations:

Tenorth, Moritz, and Michael Beetz. “KnowRob: A knowledge processing infrastructure for cognition-enabled robots.” The International Journal of Robotics Research 32, no. 5 (2013): 566-590.

Fernández, Jose D., and Francisco Vico. “AI methods in algorithmic composition: A comprehensive survey.” Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research 48 (2013): 513-582.

Khot, Tushar, Sriraam Natarajan, Kristian Kersting, and Jude Shavlik. “Learning markov logic networks via functional gradient boosting.” In Data Mining (ICDM), 2011 IEEE 11th International Conference on, pp. 320-329. IEEE, 2011.

Rossi, Ryan A., and Nesreen K. Ahmed. “Role discovery in networks.” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering 27, no. 4 (2015): 1112-1131.

Ahmadi, Babak, Kristian Kersting, Martin Mladenov, and Sriraam Natarajan. “Exploiting symmetries for scaling loopy belief propagation and relational training.” Machine Learning 92, no. 1 (2013): 91-132.

Backwards Citations:

A. Van Assche, C. Vens, and H. Blockeel. “First order random forests: Learning
relational classifiers with complex aggregates.” Machine Learning, 2006.

L. Breiman. “Bagging predictors.” Machine Learning, 24, 1996.

Y. Jing, V. Pavlovi, and J. Rehg. “Boosted bayesian network classifiers.” Machine Learning, 73(2):155–184, 2008.

L. Getoor, N. Friedman, D. Koller, and A. Pfeffer. “Learning Probabilistic Relational models.” Relational Data Mining, S. Dzeroski and N. Lavrac, Eds., 2001.

L. De Raedt, A. Kimmig, and H. Toivonen. “Problog: a probabilistic prolog and its application in link discovery.” IJCAI, pages 2468–2473, 2007.

Citation Manager

I chose Mendeley as my citation manager since I had used it a bit last year. The citations it generated were fantastic, the options were detailed, and importing documents was logical and easy. I found that the search for related documents seemed to omit a lot of relevant material, however (which I checked using google scholar). I will continue experimenting it and try out a couple more citation managers before I settle on one.