Assignment 1-5/22/2017

Happy Monday!

Today was a great introduction of what’s to come! I enjoyed having lunch with mentors (the desserts were a super plus). I was also happy to get my ID badge, because I feel more official now. Our session today was to begin our preparation for the weeks to come.

The info. for our first assignment is shown below.

RELATED WORKS

1. Summary

Title of Work: Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health

Full Citation -> Jelen, B. & Siek, K. (2017). Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health Unpublished manuscript, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN.

Link: https://wishworkshop.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/jelen_wish_20171.pdf

The point of this paper is to help senior citizens to personally create devices to help with their health based on their hobby/craft. Methods used include surveys, ethnographic-style observations, and a Participatory Design Workshop. The major finding was that group structure was important, and older adults are now open to the idea to implement technology with their artifacts. The contribution that this research has on society is minimal but effective. Older adults are now excited about technology. They are  not afraid to learn something new, and it is easier to try and monitor different aspects of their health. I am very interested in this project because many elderly people that I know can benefit from the type of activities/prototype ideas discussed.

2. Citation Manager trial

We learned about reference managers (something that I knew nothing about, but now I’m eager to have one).

I have chosen to download ReadCube, and so far it seems to be a really good fit for me so far.

3. Citation Tree

Article: Postpartum Health Information Seeking Using Mobile Phones: Experiences of Low-Income Mothers

Backward

1. Bakshy, E., Messing, S., & Adamic, L. A. (2015). Exposure to ideologically diverse news and opinion on Facebook. Science, 348(6239), 1130–1132. doi:10.1126/science.aaa1160
  2. Bernhardt, J. M., & Felter, E. M. (2004). Online pediatric information seeking among mothers of young children: Results from a qualitative study using focus groups. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 6(1), e7. doi:10.2196/jmir.6.1.e7
  3. Hiniker, A., Sobel, K., Suh, H., Sung, Y. C., Lee, C. P., & Kientz, J. A. (2015). Texting while parenting: How adults use mobile phones while caring for children at the playground. In Proceedings of the 33rd annual ACM conference on human factors in computing systems (pp. 727–736). ACM.
  4. Larsson, M. (2009). A descriptive study of the use of the Internet by women seeking pregnancy-related information. Midwifery, 25(1), 14–20.
  5. Perrin, A. & Duggan, M. (2015). Americans’ internet access: 2000–2015. Pew Research Center. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/06/26/americans-internet-access-2000-2015

Forward

1. Investigating the Suitability of the Asynchronous, Remote, Community-based Method for Pregnant and New Mothers