Week 1 – Day 1

Today was the first official day of the ProHealth REU. We spent most of the day walking around campus to get acquainted with our surroundings and activate our IDs.

In the early afternoon, Dr. Siek gave us a rundown of what we would be doing over the course of the week and beyond. We got several accounts set up, including this blog. I will be documenting and reflecting on my work through this website for the next 10 weeks.

We also discussed the proper way to comprehensively read journal articles. For homework, Dr. Siek had us read an article and create a 5 sentence summary of it. Both the citation  for the article (with links) and the summary appear below.

Ben Jelen, Katie Siek. (2016). Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health. In Workshop on Interactive Systems in Healthcare (WISH) at CHI 2017.

This paper focuses on the ways older hobbyists would be interested in enhancing their crafts using electronics. The methods used for this research include: observing crafting groups at work; analyzing the results of a survey gauging older adult’s interest in technology, health, and crafting; and an ongoing participatory design workshop through which groups of crafters prototype ideas for integrating technology into crafts. The group structure, group support and artifact sharing observed in these crafting groups laid a foundation for interacting with these sorts of groups in the future.  Overall, this research gives insight on how and why older adults enjoy crafting together, the promise of socially learning new technologies in these groups, the health related measurements older adults would like to keep track of, and what older adults would like to create with technology if given the chance. I think that this line of research could help to bring many of the older adult’s favorite crafts into the 21st century while also helping these aging communities live healthier lives.

Articles related to this research that I would like to read include:

Thankfully, I don’t have to keep up with these journal articles haphazardly. Rather, I can organize them in my new citation manager: Mendeley. I like this particular citation manager because there is both a web and desktop version. Also, it is easy to create files and organize information.

On the topic of citations, we also learned how to create a citation tree today. My assignment for that appears below.

Original Article:

• Clawson, J., Starner, T., Kohlsdorf, D., Quigley, D. P., & Gilliland, S. (2014). Texting while walking. Proceedings of the 16th international conference on Human-computer interaction with mobile devices & services – MobileHCI 14. doi:10.1145/2628363.2628408

Forward Citations:

Backwards Citations:

Unknown Animal of the Day:  Aardwolf

This hyena-like insectivore is much like computer scientists: shy and nocturnal.