Post 5/22

Homework

Summary of Ben’s Article:

Citation: Jelen, Ben, and Katie Siek. “Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health.” ACM.

“Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health” investigates how older crafters feel about technology and its implementation in their artifacts with a particular focus on integrating technologies related to health. In order to accomplish this, participants in the Bloomington, Indiana area aged 65+ filled out surveys regarding their views of technology and participated in sessions where they taught researchers their craft, learned about technology, and then came up with ideas of how to implement some technologies into their artifacts. The major findings of this study found that noting the group structure, group sharing, and artifact sharing are important factors to note when developing new ways to interact with older adults and understand their relationships among one another as well. Possibly the most important contribution this article provides is a pioneering a focus and further study at how the implementation of electronics into artifacts created by older adults may impact their lives. In my own opinion I find this study important as our older adult populations continue to grow. Having resources to encourage them to stay healthy and active are important as their lives and happiness are just as important as anyone else’s. Some terms I need to look further into that I came across in their piece include WISH community, ethnographic-style observation, and affinity diagram.

Citation Tree:

Main Article:

Maia Jacobs, James Clawson, and Elizabeth Mynatt, Comparing Health Information Sharing Preferences of Cancer Patients, Doctors, and Navigators, CSCW 2015, March 14-18, 2015, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Backward

• Yunan Chen , Heng Xu, Privacy Management in Dynamic Groups: Understanding Information Privacy in Medical Practices
  • Andrea Civan , David W. McDonald , Kenton T. Unruh , Wanda Pratt, Locating Patient Expertise in Everyday Life
  • Sunny Consolvo , Ian E. Smith , Tara Matthews , Anthony LaMarca , Jason Tabert , Pauline Powledge, Location Disclosure to Social Relations: Why, When, & What People Want to Share
  • Ferguson, T. Online Patient-Helpers and Physicians Working Together: A New Partnership for High Quality Health Care
  • Ong, L.M., De Haes, J.C., Hoos, a M., and Lammes, F.B. Doctor-Patient Communication: A Review of the Literature

Forward

• Andrew B.L. Berry , Catherine Lim , Tad Hirsch , Andrea L. Hartzler , Edward H. Wagner , Evette Ludman , James D. Ralston, Getting Traction When Overwhelmed: Implications for Supporting Patient-Provider Communication
  • Haley MacLeod , Maia Jacobs , Katie Siek , Kay Connelly , Elizabeth D. Mynatt, Ethical Considerations in Pervasive Health Research
  • Ayşe G. Büyüktür , Mark S. Ackerman, Information Work in Bone Marrow Transplant: Reducing Misalignment of Perspectives
  • Naja L. Holten Møller , Pernille Bjørn , Jonas Christoffer Villumsen , Tine C. Hansen Hancock , Toshimitsu Aritake , Shigeyuki Tani, Data Tracking in Search of Workflows
  • Catherine Lim , Andrew B.L. Berry , Tad Hirsch , Andrea L. Hartzler , Edward H. Wagner , Evette Ludman , James D. Ralston, “It just seems outside my health”: How Patients with Chronic Conditions Perceive Communication Boundaries with Providers

Recap of the day:

Today was pretty jam-packed with things to do. This morning we had our interview assessments and then we went to the campus card office to get our ID cards. I did not bring my license with me (my bad) so I have to go back at some point to actually get mine. We had a tour of the gym which was cool.

When we were on our way to lunch we passed the sky view of the campus. It was cool to visualize where we have been walking around and to see where some of the buildings are in relation to one another. I am horrible at finding my way around so it was cool to at least try to visualize where things are.

Displaying IMG_8263.jpg

When we had lunch today I sat with James and it was very interesting to hear about how he became interested in assisting women during pregnancy and even postpartum.

I enjoyed our little group walk when we found out there was a gas leak. The weather has been so nice today that it was nice to spend more time outdoors. This campus is so pretty. The main arches were also nice to see because that is the most common picture that pops up when you google IU.

I’m very excited to learn about the different projects that I get to choose from to work on during the summer. I have never done something like this before and it is super cool to know that what I will be working on has the potential to improve many people’s lives.