Fireflies – Day 1

Today we  got a tour of campus and our ID badges. We were also able to see the gym and the Informatics Building where we will be working this summer.

In the afternoon,  we had the first series of lectures and learned about the REU site, blogging, wordpress, and background research for academic papers. I also set up a ShareLaTeX account and downloaded Tableau. We also learned about one of the research projects this summer in which older adults in crafting groups learn how to create their own technology.

Summary of Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health:

Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health discussed the potential for older adults already embedded in crafting groups to create their own technological devices. To better understand older adults’ interest and capabilities, the study performed ethnographic-style observations, delivered a survey, and held participatory design workshops. The study found crafting groups had varying group structure, group support, and ways of sharing their crafting products. The support and structure of the crafting groups provides an environment in which older adults could learn and implement new skills.

Jelen, B. & Siek, K. (2017). Empowering Older Adult Crafters to Electronically Enhance Artifacts for Health Unpublished manuscript, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN.

To Explore Further:

I’d like to research a little more on the health interests of older adults. The paper What health topics older adults want to track: a participatory design study may be a good place to start. I’d also like to see whether this approach was successful in similar studies and could start by reading Using Participatory Activities with Seniors to Critique, Build, and Evaluate Mobile Phones.

Citation Manager

We also learned about citing. I chose to download Mendeley. It is convenient for annotating papers as I read them, as I can take notes and highlight. Also it is available to use online and offline. However, it does not display all of the capabilities available to the user, I had to figure out how to upload pdfs and annotate them.

Citation Tree – Mobile interface design for low-literacy populations
Backward

Forward

Song of the Day