Week Nine – Monday, July 18th – Friday, July 22nd

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weekly Reflection

This week felt like it flew by! Devon and I made a lot of progress though! I began the week making the changes that Dr. Kay Connelly had suggested for the application.  From there, Devon and I completed ProHealth deliverables such as a video vignette and finishing our poster.    We completed the task of showing showing a progress bar for percentages on our pending surveys page.  This isn’t even all! This summer has flown by.  It is sad to think it’s almost over.

5 Things I Wish I Knew Before the REU Experience:

1. Be prepared for early mornings and late nights,
  2. You will meet amazing people here.
  3. You will have an awesome project partner, PhD mentor, and faculty mentor
  4. Your work ethic will improve
  5. You will get amazing opportunities to go to conferences and continue working on the project

5 Things I Would Recommend to Future REU Students:

1. Keep a time log and task log! They are super helpful in managing your time and making sure you are working enough as well as making sure you are completing what you need.
  2. Balance your time! Those peer reviews can sneak up on you Thursday night.  Make sure that you balance your project and the ProHealth deliverables well.
  3. Work well with your partner!  They are the only other REU student here who knows exactly what your challenges are with the project.  Learn to get along and enjoy your long hours in the lab.
  4. Make friends!  Everyone here is so nice and awesome.  I get to work in the REU cubicles with 7 other REU students, so you get friendly.
  5. Put in the effort!  If you put in the effort on your project, it definitely pays off.  Devon and I put in long hours in Info East and our faculty mentor noticed.  She offered us both the opportunity to continue on the project if we would like to in the next academic year through the study and even data analysis.  This could lead to conferences, published papers, and future connections.

Tasks

This is a list of the tasks Devon and I either completed or still need to complete individually/together

O – Completed This Week                                             O – To Do Next Week

ProHealth Deliverables

O Finished Poster

O Video

O Blog Posts

O Peer Reviews

ESM Application

O Made Database Changes Discussed in Friday Meeting

O Made XML Changes Discussed in Friday Meeting

O Finished Alarm algorithm

O Pending Surveys

o Progress Bars working

o Number of Buttons Displayed correlates with Database

O Fixed Script Bugs

O Fixed Settings Page Bug

O Switched all Checkboxes to Radio Buttons

O Inserted phone unique identifier as user id

O Inserted Logo from Alex

O Microsoft Band Tile

o Made Survey

o Get Feedback From Buttons on Survey

ProHealth Deliverables

O Poster Session

O Wednesday Workshop

O Blog Post

O Final Paper

O Name Tags

O Final Assessment

ESM Application

O Final touches on Microsoft Band Tile

O Final touches on ESM App

O ReadME

O Demo Mode of App for Poster Presentation  

O Need to get psd files from Alex

Daily Reflections

Sunday

My work week actually began on Sunday.  I spent a few hours making changes to the XML files per Dr. Kay Connelly’s suggestions in our Friday meeting.  I was having trouble with getting one thing to look right, so a friend suggested I add some padding to it and it worked! They also gave me links to some different websites so I could figure out my issue with Question 1 and the images.

Monday

I had a meeting with Kay, Katie and Majdah about our project and some new decisions were made.  Due to limitations on the Microsoft Band 2 in regards to checkboxes, we decided to make each question have radio buttons.  Then, I iterated on our poster from last week.  A link to the poster can be seen in the links section below.

Tuesday

I spent Monday primarily working on coding.  Kay had asked us to have a circular progress bar that would show the percentage of the survey that was already completed.  It took a lot of research, but it was worth it on Wednesday!

Wednesday

I spent a bit of time adding acknowledgements to our paper for the NSF and the grant for the ProHealth site.  I also started working on our video.  Then after our meeting with Majdah, I created a LinkedIn profile so it could be on the ProHealth website.  Our future workshop dealt with future plans.  I am continuing on the project throughout the academic year, so it will be interesting to see how everything works with the study and data analysis while working remotely from Germany.  After our workshop, Katie gave Devon and I some feedback about our poster and so I made the necessary changes later that night.

Thursday

Thursday was primarily spent on the video.  We recorded audio, and then I had to input the audio as well as the images and time everything properly.  I think that it came out nicely and a link is below.

Friday

Friday will be our busy day with meetings.  We will begin with a meeting with Majdah at 9:30am, then the ProHealth meeting at 10am, and then a meeting with Dr. Kay Connelly at 11am.  We will most likely work on our paper or coding after the meetings.

Links

Website

Aislinn’s Website

Poster

Aislinn and Devon’s Poster

Video

S.E.N.S.E. Overview