Week 8

July 15th, 2016

Over this past week, my research team and I took most of our time reviewing and making iterations to the scenario based survey. We initially had this completed last week but after further discussion, we decided to add on some more sections. The sections were not very specific at first, as in it was hard to differentiate which scenario went with what and also what that scenario was specifically trying to show participants. So we made a few changes to our previous questions and then added on more general questions to get an understanding of what this community already has. Previously, we only asked ‘what does this community want?’ but did not include questions regarding their current support.

We also worked on the paper using feedback received from our mentors. We still haven’t came up with a definite title for the project so we discussed that and changed it for the poster. We made the poster twice because our first poster seemed too crowded. It looked crowded because we included the whole text for each scenario but when we printed it out (previewed it on a piece of paper), we felt it would be better to summarize the three scenarios. By doing this, we will be able to draw peoples attention to the poster and open it up for questions giving us the opportunity to further explain in great detail.

Here is a link to our poster draft
Before editing draft:
Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 1.58.21 PM

After editing draft:
Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 1.57.00 PM

Lightning Talk Feedback

I learned that I shouldn’t be nervous to present in front of a crowd. Its funny that I can be nervous to present or speak in front of a crowd even if the crowd is full of people I know and talk to everyday! One thing that was said a few weeks ago was by Kay and she said “the crowd is your friend” which has actually really helped me when I am presenting. Even though this statement is not always true, it still holds some truth because there is usually at least some one who is your friend or is rooting for you in the crowd. Also remembering that the crowd just wants to hear what I have to say and if I don’t speak up and deliver it, then I am doing everyone an injustice. So ever since I have changed the way I think before giving a speech, I’ve noticed myself improving. I still need to work on speaking up and remembering to not forget my words. Overall, I’m happy we had the lighting talks because they allowed me to critique myself and also learn from others.
Click here for the link to our final lighting talk which I shared with Grace B.

Girl Scouts Camp!

On Monday we helped build circuits with the Girl Scouts Camp. They seemed so excited! My peers and I all thought the girls were so smart for their age especially since some of us just learned how to build circuits at the beginning of this program!It was really nice to see so many people connecting over this similar interest. This camp also didn’t feel like a “job” it was very much enjoyable and I think others would agree with me. ( :

In summery, our past week was focused on clarify our methods and goals for the remainder of the ten weeks with our mentors. What we need to do for the next week is:

To Do

• Research
  • Distribute survey over the weekend
  • Collect data and start analyzing once we get responses
  • Continue making changes to paper
  • Add data to poster and make changes suggested by peers
  • Storyboard for your Project Video/Video

Link to my personal website: Updated Website!

Link to my linkedin ( don’t forget to connect!) : Here