Week 2

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weekly Reflection

This week was when our work began on our projects.  I got placed on the project of my choice, the project that works on detecting stress in pregnant women and new mothers through wearable technology!  My partner on the project is Devon and we are working really well together so far.  One of the highlights of the week was getting our Microsoft Band 2’s.  Throughout the week we have been wearing them and figuring out all of the features as well as how it interfaces with an individual’s daily life. All of the work that we did this week would not have been possible without the help of our grad student mentor, Majdah.  She is amazing and I don’t think that Devon and I can thank her enough for her help.   We did so much this week that I will outline each day below.

Daily Activities

Monday

We got our tasks for the week on Friday, so we got right to work early on Monday morning.    I started with updates to my laptop.  Once those were completed, I then began reading one of the two articles for the week, Pop Therapy.  While reading I took notes on the article and then afterwards I summarized it.  After lunch, I helped Devon download Android Studio, but we had a lot of difficulty.  Eventually we got through it though!  We also downloaded the code from Dropbox and began our presentation that we will give on Friday for our mentor, Kay Connelly, about the code.  The code was written by another developer, so it took some time to get through the code and figure out what it is doing.  Later in the day I read the second of the two articles, and again summarized and took notes along the way.  However, I did not realize that Mendeley had a notes section, so I then had to put my notes and summary into Mendeley so that I could share it with Majdah.

Tuesday

Today was when we began the heart of our tasks.  Devon and I got some cool new tech, the Microsoft Band 2, to test out.  We were really excited to set everything up and discover all of the features the Microsoft Band 2 has.  You can see a picture of the Microsoft Band 2 below.  I spent a good portion of the day, almost half of the day, working through the code.

41GxSlvK2oL

Wednesday

I could not believe how much we got done today.  Today Devon and I mostly worked on the document for our understanding of the code presentation on Friday.  Majdah was so nice and worked with us for almost all of the day and we could not have been more grateful to her.  We ended up with a 26 page document.  It was so long that we put in a table of contents!  It looks really nice and it helped us a lot in bettering our understanding of the code.  We also had some issues with GitHub and trying to download the code through there as opposed to Dropbox.  We got some help from a graduate student that Majdah connected us with and we figured a lot more out.  However, we still had the question of how to connect the Microsoft Band 2 to an app.

Thursday

Yesterday was a long eleven hour day and today was even longer.  However, today was what I would call our breakthrough day, so the eleven and a half hours we spent working were definitely worth it.  We not only figured out how to get an app on the Microsoft Band 2, but we also figured out how to get a simple app such as Hello World on the band as well as an app that detects heart rate and when the heart rate goes over a threshold, then the user is notified.  We also put the finishing touches on our 26 page document and worked on the ProHealth deliverables for the week, which were to make an outline for the related work as well as an outline for the methods for our project.  Majdah was so awesome in that she started the document for us and we just had to change and edit things.   After we left for the day, Devon and I continued working on our own and finished up everything that we needed to in preparation for Friday.

Friday

There is a lot going on today.  We have our meeting with Majdah, which we usually have every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday as well as a weekly ProHealth group meeting.  After the ProHealth meeting, we will meet with our mentor and discuss what we have done this week as well as what is expected of us for the next week,  This is when we will present our presentation as well as the apps that we got to work.  It is going to be a busy day but I am ready and up for the challenge!