Week #3

I am now through the third week of my summer REU program and a week closer to the girl scout camp! In my meeting with Katie this week, we discussed the things that I need to get done before the week of the girl scout camp. She advised me to set weekly goals so that I can stay on schedule and not fall behind.

My goal for this week was to have a final code ready for the object that I want to create using the lilypad board. For my final project I plan on making a stuffed animal and using the buzzer, the light sensor, and the RGB LED to make the stuffed animal play music and flash lights. The code I am aiming to create would make the buzzer play the Notre Dame fight song when light out and the Harry Potter theme song when dark out, both with light shows that go with the music. The code that I have done right now does just that, however the only problem that I am having is that the songs have to play through to completion before switching to the next song if the lighting changes. So I still have a little tweaking to do with the code.

final-projectfritz_bb

Lilyboard wiring for the final project

I have also been working on a few more songs for the girl scout camp this week. The first song that I made was a song sang by girl scouts nationwide called “Make New Friends.” The song is fairly short and didn’t take too long to make. I also attempted to make the song “Blank Space,” by Taylor Swift. However, after I finished about half the song I tested it and the tune was unrecognizable. It could have been the sheet music I found online or some other reason, either way I scrapped it. After that unsuccessful attempt, I decided to take on a less complex Taylor Swift song, so I made the song “Shake it off.” This song was much easier to make and it sounds pretty similar to the actual song.

My goals for next week are to finish tweaking my code, focus on how I want to design the stuffed animal, and making a few more songs for the Girl Scout camp. I still have a lot of work ahead of me, til next week’s blog. – John

https://drive.google.com/openid=0Bzx9iAJ9O3jRZEQwOXVnLU9rOGM&authuser=1