Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing

The entire TIDE team attended the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing in Phoenix, Arizona last week. It was a fantastic experience to see so many inspiring women speak and talk to other university students from across the country. Everyone has had a different experience as a woman in computing and I learned a lot from hearing the stories.

I personally learned a lot about myself and my goals in the field of computing by attending the conference and talking to other women studying computing. I learned about my options if I decide to attend graduate school and I also learned about what kind of companies and work culture I am looking for if I decide to go into industry work. I know better what I’m interested in pursuing in computer science and gained new confidence that I made a good choice in deciding to change my major to computer science.

Finally, Sara and I were able to attend a lunch for CREU recipients. It was a great opportunity to hear about other projects that are currently in progress or been completed. We also got to talk to other students and advisors so it was a great networking opportunity. I enjoyed meeting so many new people.

TIDE was put on hold for the duration of the week because we were out of town for the conference, but we should be getting back into the swing of things this week. Stay tuned for more updates.